The registration period for DV2020 is about to open (about 1 hour from now) – so a few pointers to help make it successful.
- The entry period is from October 3 to November 6 and it opens at Noon EDT – East coast USA time – not the time where you might live. It also closes at noon on the USA east coast.
- Entry is FREE and it is very easy to enter yourself.
- Do not lie in this process, EVER. To clarify, a lie is when you don’t tell the truth, or omit a relevant detail. People who have lied (“forgetting” they are married or have a child for instance) often get offended when I point out they lied. Lies are toxic in this process.
- DO NOT let anyone enter for you. Every year I see cases of fraud, cases rejected and so on – simply because a third party entered the lottery.
- BEFORE you enter, read the instructions properly!
- The two biggest mistakes that people make are leaving a spouse or child off the entry (leading to certain denial) OR choosing the wrong country.
- Make sure you accurately choose your marital status correctly. Include your spouse and all children under 21 (including step children)
- Entry is based on country of birth. Not citizenship, country you are living at or ANYTHING else. The country where you were born. There are a couple of exceptions to that rule – but those are rarely used (and discussed here)
- Watch the video to know how to enter.
- You can enter even if you are already selected in DV2019. Anyone can enter.
- Enter here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/diversity-visa-program-entry.html
- Take a new photo for the entry. Photo examples and instructions are here. The photo tool available there is a very useful tool to ensure the correct proportions and image size. You can take a photo with phone.
- Tell the truth as it is on the day of your entry. For example, if you are not married, but expect to be married within a few weeks, the reality is you are single so enter as single.
- Only enter once. A married couple can each enter and list the spouse as a derivative. Likewise a child of over 18 could be on the parents entry and have their own entry.
- It does not matter when you enter – the draw is random, there is no “best time” to enter, and I have proof of that statement.
- You don’t need to have a passport at the time of entry, but if selected you will need a passport to process your application.
- This is a lottery with a small chance of winning (being selected). Some people are selected on their first attempt, others could try 20 years and never get selected.
- You can enter the lottery from anywhere, on a computer/smartphone/similar device.
- There are no special tips to help get selected. Anyone who suggests otherwise is a fool, or trying to scam you. Just follow the VERY simple instructions and you may get lucky.
OK – that captures most of the questions I am typically asked.
September 5, 2019 at 15:35
Will there be a Second draw for dv 2020?
2)How will selectees be notice?
3) Is there a,possibility for someone who won with a high case number two years ago to be selected again in the processe?
September 6, 2019 at 13:55
2. They may email people.
3. Yes of course. The draw is random.